Tim Wybitul, a leading data privacy lawyer, advises German and global companies on complex data protection issues. He represents clients in data privacy litigation, internal investigations, and other data-related disputes.
Mr. Wybitul advises clients on complex, high-stakes data protection and privacy matters, including:
- EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) related litigation (including civil, administrative, and administrative offence matters)
- Data protection management processes and structures (reviewing and enhancing)
- Negotiations with data protection authorities
- Advice regarding GDPR, EU Member State laws, in parallel with US federal and state laws, and other global jurisdictions
Mr. Wybitul draws on a successful track record to provide clients pragmatic, defensible advice on complex data protection questions in a dynamic regulatory environment. Regularly ranked in leading legal publications, including Chambers and JUVE, he has developed a reputation for his excellent technical knowledge and creative solutions-oriented approach.
Mr. Wybitul combines an affinity for information technology with specific training to provide clients with practical, business-oriented strategies. He is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-E) and a certified specialist lawyer for German employment law. He has provided expert testimonies to the German Parliament (Deutscher Bundestag) regarding the development of German data protection laws.
Mr. Wybitul co-edits the German language Data Privacy Law Journal (Zeitschrift für Datenschutz) published by Verlag C.H. Beck. He regularly publishes articles on data protection topics, both in leading German and English legal publications. His articles are cited by the German Federal Supreme Court, Federal Labor Court, and courts of appeal. He lectures on data protection at the Goethe University in Frankfurt.
Mr. Wybitul’s experience includes advising:
- Deutsche Wohnen in a multimillion Euro GDPR fine proceeding
- Daimler in landmark data privacy litigation in the German Superior Labor Court
- Leading financial services provider in mass civil litigation regarding GDPR damage claims and injunction proceedings
- A social media network in one of the first German GDPR fine proceedings
- A leading German car manufacturer on GDPR implementation and litigation
- IT Provider regarding GDPR damage claims and injunction proceedings in connection with data loss
- Allianz on complex aspects of data protection law, including negotiations with data protection authorities
- Birkenstock Group on complex data protection matters, and in court proceedings up to the German Superior Labor Court*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham