John Chory serves as Global Chair of the firm's Emerging Companies Practice. He represents technology and life sciences companies from startup through IPO.
Mr. Chory advises both private and public companies in the following areas:
- Early-stage company formation and strategy
- Initial- through late-stage venture capital financings
- Public offerings of securities
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Technology licensing
- Securities law
Mr. Chory lectures frequently on legal issues facing emerging companies. He is an Xconomist.
While at Harvard, Mr. Chory taught negotiation as a teaching assistant to Roger Fisher, author of "Getting to Yes." Prior to attending law school, he was a US Army intelligence officer.
Mr. Chory has been recognized as:
A Massachusetts leader in the Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment field in the 2005 through 2020 editions of Chambers USA, where clients have described him as a "fixture in the Boston technology community."
A Massachusetts leader in the Technology field in the 2014 through 2020 editions of Chambers USA. The guide further stated that “he is quite personable, very strategic and gives great levelheaded advice.” He is also declared to be "a consummate strategizer with a network in Boston to die for.”
A Massachusetts leader in the Capital Markets field in the 2015 through 2020 editions of Chambers USA. He is praised for his "demeanor, candor, passion and focus on representing entrepreneurs" as well as being "very steady, very knowledgeable... He's totally unflappable."
- A Nationwide leader in the Startups & Emerging Companies field in the 2017 through 2020 editions of Chambers USA, where clients have described him as a "very strategic" lawyer who is "focused on business outcomes."
A Leading Lawyer for Venture Capital and Emerging Companies by The Legal 500 US 2015 through 2020 editions, including recognition in the Hall of Fame
- A three-time Boston Venture Capital Law Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers, as well as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate law and venture capital by Best Lawyers from 2006 to 2021.
Mr. Chory’s clients have included A123 Systems, Actifio, Akamai, AppIQ, ArcherDX, ASAPP, Care.com, Camiant, Cartera, Charles River Development, Claros Diagnostics, CloudHealth, Desktop Metal, Driftt, Inc., The Echo Nest, EqualLogic, First Aid Beauty, Frequency Therapeutics, Gingko Bioworks, Goop, LogMeIn, Nasuni, Portal Instruments, QuantCo, Rent the Runway, Synack, The Farmer's Dog, The Light Co., Veracode, Vlingo, Wayfair, ZappRx, Zintro, and Zipcar.