Chi Ho Kwan is an associate in the Hong Kong office of Latham & Watkins and a member of Litigation & Trial Department. He is also a member of the Complex Commercial Litigation Practice. Mr. Kwan is a solicitor advocate of the Hong Kong courts, with full rights of audience in the Hong Kong courts in respect of civil matters.
Mr. Kwan represents clients in civil and commercial litigation and arbitration. He has represented companies and individuals in cases involving shareholders disputes, contractual disputes, and regulatory proceedings. Mr. Kwan has represented clients in a wide range of arbitrations under the HKIAC, ICC, SIAC, and UNCITRAL Rules involving various jurisdictions such as Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, and the PRC.
He regularly represents multinational and local corporations as well as professional intermediaries in regulatory investigations and disciplinary inquiries, and has hands-on experience in liaising with regulators including the Hong Kong Securities & Futures Commission (SFC) and the Hong Kong Competition Commission (HKCC). Mr. Kwan is fluent in English, Cantonese, and Mandarin.
Mr. Kwan’s experience includes representing:
- A respondent in the first enforcement proceedings before the Hong Kong Competition Tribunal
- A syndicate of leading financial institutions in its enforcement actions in various jurisdictions pursuant to a facility agreement
- A major conglomerate in Malaysia in two Hong Kong arbitrations against a PRC company arising from joint venture agreement to set up car production facilities in China
- A PRC company specializing in the supply of ATM machines in China in an arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules under Hong Kong law
- A Japanese investment fund company in relation to an investment dispute in Fujian, China administered by Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- A US-based world leader in wind turbine design in an ICC arbitration under Singapore law against a substantial Indian renewable energy company with regard to a dispute arising from a license agreement
- A US-based company involved in distributing hardware and electromechanical products to the global aerospace industry in its court action against a HK defendant in relation to a wire fraud
- A HK subsidiary of a Jiangsu-based steel enterprise in China in its proceedings against its former director for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud against the company
- A PRC subsidiary of a major pharmaceutical company in relation to an internal investigation concerning the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- A Singapore-based semiconductor company in its pre-listing internal audit with a special focus on commercial risk issues