Abid Riaz Qureshi represents clients in government investigations, regulatory proceedings, and complex commercial litigation, drawing on more than two decades of successful trial experience.
Mr. Qureshi helps clients navigate complex, high-value disputes in state and federal courts, in arbitrations, and in settlement negotiations.
He regularly handles matters involving:
- False Claims Act
- Healthcare fraud and abuse claims
- Federal securities laws
As an experienced trial lawyer, Mr. Qureshi has established an impressive track record, including winning on behalf of a client the highest-value arbitration award in Latham’s history. He meticulously prepares a case to understand how a dispute impacts a client’s business and to develop a winning strategy. In the courtroom, Mr. Qureshi is skilled at controlling the course of the case on cross-examination.
Complementing his commercial litigation practice, Mr. Qureshi handles internal corporate investigations, governmental inquiries, and regulatory proceedings. He has particular facility with managing large multi-faceted investigations on behalf of international companies, drawing on experience investigating two of the largest healthcare fraud cases in the country.
Mr. Qureshi served as Co-Chair of the Washington, D.C. office Litigation Department and as Global Chair of Latham’s Pro Bono Committee. Under his leadership, Latham increased pro bono efforts to provide more than 200,000 hours of free legal services annually. He has a long history of providing pro bono legal advice to the Muslim Alliance and immigrants’ rights groups. He received the Servant of Justice Award from the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia and the Impact Award from the Capital Area Muslim Bar Association in 2018. He currently serves as the Recruiting Committee Chair.
In September 2016, President Obama nominated Mr. Qureshi to fill a vacancy on the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
A sampling of Mr. Qureshi’s experience includes representing:
- A hospital company to secure dismissal of a civil False Claims Act matter alleging performance of unnecessary testing in emergency rooms
- A hospital company to secure dismissal of a non-intervened qui tam alleging medically unnecessary inpatient admissions
- A hospital company senior executive to successfully resolve a civil False Claims Act multi-district litigation involving allegations of improper admissions
- A hospital company to secure dismissal of a non-intervened qui tam alleging retaliation and Medicare/Medicaid fraud
- A hospital company to successfully resolve parallel criminal and civil False Claims Act matters involving alleged violations of the federal Anti-kickback Statute
- A hospital company to secure dismissal of a qui tam alleging the performance of unnecessary cardiac procedures
- A hospital company to successfully mediate a False Claims Act case alleging improper medical testing and retaliation
- A dialysis provider to successfully resolve a False Claims Act case alleging improper billing
- An academic medical center to prevail in an arbitration regarding proper allocation of Medicaid disproportionate share hospital payments
- An advertising holding company to obtain summary judgment in a securities class action
- A Big Four accounting firm in a complete victory in a matter involving allegations of auditor malpractice
- The State of Florida in successful representation in a US Supreme Court original action against the State of Georgia
- A leading financial services company to favorably resolve a securities class action
- A writer, political commentator, SiriusXM radio host, and comedian in a defamation suit against the operator of a neo-Nazi website to obtain a damages award of more than US$4 million in defamation suit
- Healthcare professionals to secure permanent injunctions against a Georgia state regulatory agency for its promulgation of testing requirements
- An Internet service provider to obtain an award of more than US$5 million in compensatory and punitive damages for unauthorized access to its proprietary network
- An academic medical center to successfully resolve a state attorney general investigation of balance billing practices
- A strategic holding company to successfully defend a high-profile securities fraud class action alleging accounting fraud and improper financial reporting
- A provider of financial products and services, and its CEO and CFO, in a successful motion to dismiss against a securities fraud class action of violations of the Securities Act and the Securities Exchange Act arising out of alleged misstatements to investors
- Issues related to legal strategy, litigation, and investigations, in several countries including:
- The United Arab Emirates